Sometimes, you may not be able to connect to your newly bought wireless modem from your laptop. Your wireless modem may be 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless mode ready. The default mode might be set to “n”. If your laptop is not able to scan your access point, then you can try the following:
1) Right click network icon, click “Open Network and Sharing Center”.
2) Click “Change adapter settings”.
3) Right click Wireless Network Connection. Click Properties.
4) From Networking tab, click Configure.
5) From Advanced tab, click “Adhoc 11n”.
6) From Value drop down, select Enable.
7) Click OK.
Now you can try to see if you are able to connect to your access point.